turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughters mother illegally claimed her

I had my daughter for the whole year and she knew I had the right and planned to claim her
1 Reply
New Member

My daughters mother illegally claimed her

If your dependent was claimed when they should not have been, you can ask the other party to amend the return. If they will not remove the dependent, you may file on paper. The IRS will contact both parties to determine who is entitled to claim the dependent, and will credit the person that met the requirements. If it is determined that the other party should not have claimed the dependent, the IRS will make them pay back the exemption along with any penalties or interest associated with their false claim.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies