Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter is 23, a full time graduate student. She makes <$4700/yr. She pays >1/2 her expenses with student loans in her name. Is there any way I can claim her?

I read I could claim her as a qualifying adult, giving her 10% to 50% support.  But she still pays >1/2 support with student loans.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My daughter is 23, a full time graduate student. She makes <$4700/yr. She pays >1/2 her expenses with student loans in her name. Is there any way I can claim her?

You do not count loans as income.   If your daughter under the age of 24 is a full-time student you can still claim her as a qualified child.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. She pays >1/2 her expenses with student loans in her name. Is there any way I can claim her?

A. Technically, no. 

But, that said, you should closely at what constitutes support.  If you co-signed the loan, then the loan is considered support from you not her. 

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants. You count the whole year home value, even if the student lives on or off campus. She is considered to only be temporarily away. 

The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

Her expenses are covered by loans which is not considered income. Leaving her very little remaining expense.  She is frugal.  The worksheet calculates all of her expenses but they are covered by non income.  Can I claim her in good faith?  I pay for her transportation home and medical copays. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

"The worksheet calculates all of her expenses but they are covered by non income"

Non income (savings, investments, 529 plans) support  still counts.

Q. Can I claim her in good faith? 

A. That's for you to decide. Most parents of  college age students do claim the child as a qualifying child dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies