Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

advr4u

My daughter earned $18.5K in 2018, with parents gifted to her $30K, can she claim herself provide more than 50% of her full time college living cost about $70K? Thanks!

As parents we can not claim any HOPE credit on my daughter's tuition, but if she can claim herself as tax payer, she can get partial of it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My daughter earned $18.5K in 2018, with parents gifted to her $30K, can she claim herself provide more than 50% of her full time college living cost about $70K? Thanks!

Please read the article linked below. The gift is over the annual limit, so you would need to file Form 709.

To claim herself, she would not be your dependent, therefore she would need to have provided her own health coverage. 

There is another option which is no one claims the student. The student can then get the "Non-refundable" portion of the education credit. 

This is done by the student selecting "Yes' to "Someone else can claim me" but "No" to "Someone else will claim me" 

You also would not claim the student. There is no exemption amount this year, so you don't lose that, but you might lose on a different credit. 

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2010/aug/nichols-aug-2010.html

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies