Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

acgst1

My daughter didn’t check that she could be claimed as dependent on her tax return. She then ammended her return to fix it but my tax return is still getting rejected

The rejection is still saying my dependent didn’t check this box even though she amended it with box checked. What do I do from here? I am assuming the amended return takes awhile to register in the system but meanwhile mine won’t get accepted. I tried calling the IRS and you cannot get a live person to answer questions!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My daughter didn’t check that she could be claimed as dependent on her tax return. She then ammended her return to fix it but my tax return is still getting rejected

You will have to print and mail your tax return to include your daughter as a dependent.  Since the IRS has already received a tax return with her Social Security number you cannot e-file your return.  The amended return will not change the e-file status of her original tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print and mail a tax return when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

how long ago was the amended return filed? The IRS can take 5 months or more to process an amended return.   Even then you may not be able to e-file. Uncertain as to whether your daughter's filing creates a situation that permanently blocks you from e-filing the current year. You would have to wait until the amended return is fully processed and then see if you can e-file. If still rejected, your return will have to be mailed. if mailed use a tracking service so you know the IRS got it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies