dlmcclain

My daughter and I did our taxes on separate dates. She incorrectly stated no one could claim her as a dependent. When I did my taxes and claimed her, it was rejected.

Because she selected that I couldn't claim her when I can, my return says I owe $500. She earned less than $4K and was at home most of the year (more than 8 months). She already received her return. What should I do? Just pay the $500?
WillK

There are two options; (1) You can file your return without her and pay the amount owed, or, (2) she will need to file an amende return claiming she is a dependent on someone else’s return, and then you will need to print and mail your return. 

dlmcclain

OK. She went through Turbo Tax to amend the return and say she can be claimed. The system said she needs to mail her new amended return in. Are you saying I also have to mail mine in? If so, will I be late?
dlmcclain

WillK

Yes she will need to mail hers and you will need to mail yours. As long as you have a postmark of 4/15 you will be fine.