My company moved mid year

My company moved mid year

My company was based in NY till August but then moved to NJ. I am a NJ resident. I was filing my taxes and noticed something odd in my W-2. Usually line 1 and 16 match for NY since I worked there full time and line 16 was slightly higher than line 1 for NJ since I live there. But this year line 1 & 16 for NY still match but line 16 for NJ is much lower than line 1. Hope this makes sense. I am not sure if this is an issue with my W-2 or not. Thank you for your help

My company moved mid year

There is no issue with your W-2 this year. Your W-2s in past years were probably filled out incorrectly. If you worked in New York all year your W-2 should not have had a NJ line at all unless NJ tax was withheld, which is unlikely.

My company moved mid year

Hi!! Thank you so much for your reply!

Even if I am a NJ resident? line 16 should have been empty in previous years? 

My company moved mid year

Yes, if you worked only in NY, and you had no NJ tax withheld, then box 16 for NJ should have been empty. There should have been no NJ line at all, even though you live in NJ.