CDM5

My child is moving out

My daughter recently moved into her own apartment - end of June 2022. How do I need to adjust for 2022 taxes? Since she left before year end and not quite half the year l don't think she can be claimed as a dependent for this year so just need to figure out how I need to adjust for this change. I am single and normally file head of household. Thanks!

conniem123

My child is moving out

Hi CDM5,  Changes that now only affect our hearts but our taxes too!  Since your daughter has an apartment, she probably has income and will be filing her own tax return for 2022 and claiming herself. 

Good idea to plan now and submit an updated Form W-4 to your employer to have more tax withheld from your paycheck.  There is a W-4 Calculator that will take you step-by-step through the worksheet,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.  

I hope this is helpful!