jspurlock2017

My boyfriend lives with me dont work he owes child support can I claim him as a dependent and would my refund go to his child support

Patrice

Your refund cannot be taken for someone you claim as a dependent (even if the dependent owes the IRS or State).  If you claim your boyfriend as a dependent on your federal income tax return and he has unpaid debts including child support, your refund cannot be intercepted for those debts.

A boyfriend can be claimed as a dependent if they pass the tests used to determine if your child or relative can be claimed as a dependent.

First, your significant other cannot be claimed as a dependent on another tax return. 

That’s the first phase of tests.

If he passes that rule, these four “tests” will need to be passed to qualify as a dependent. He:

• Is not a “qualifying child” of a taxpayer. The IRS has specific qualifying child rules based on relationship, age, residency, and joint return
  • Earned less than $4,050 in taxable income (amount of the personal exemption) in 2016
  • Did not provide over half of his or her own support
  • Lived with you all year as a member of your household (keep in mind: dependent relatives do not have to live with you)

As you can see, the tests make it impossible for someone to be claimed as a dependent on two returns. Either you provided their support or someone else did.

If your significant other passes these tests, TurboTax makes it easy to claim the dependent exemption by asking simple questions about your life.