fs09

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent. Do i still file my own taxes even though he already claimed me?

My boyfriend supported both my daughter and I for more then half the year. he claimed both of us as dependents. Do i still file my own tax returns even though he claimed me?

MichaelDC

Yes. If someone is claiming you as a dependent, you might need to do your own taxes. If you find yourself saying, “Yes, that’s me,” to anything below, the IRS requires that you file a tax return of your own.

• You earned more than $6,300. 
  • You have more than $1,050 of unearned income. Unearned income is money that you get without working like interest and dividends.
  • Your gross income was more than the larger of (a) $1,050 or (b) your earned income (up to $5,950) plus $350.
  • You had net earnings of at least $400 from your business or self-employment.
  • You had tax taken out of your paychecks and you want it back.

MichaelDC

• You earned more than $6,300.