Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brishea09

My boyfriend and I have a joint checking account that earned interest. We are not married. Will we have to file together since we have the joint account?

We were planning on filing separately.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My boyfriend and I have a joint checking account that earned interest. We are not married. Will we have to file together since we have the joint account?

If you are not legally married as of 12/31/2016 and do not live in a common law marriage state, you both must file as Single on your tax returns.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you are not legally married as of 12/31/2016 and do not live in a common law marriage state, you both must file as Single on your tax returns.

brishea09

We do live in a common law state. We were planning on filing separately but not sure how to enter the interest earned for the joint account.

You can each report 50% of the interest on your tax returns.
brishea09

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies