turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My adult daughter is on ssi. She has been buying health care through the Affordable care act. Is she eligible for the premium tax credit

My adult daughter is on ssi. She has been buying health care through the Affordable care act. Is she eligible for the premium tax credit. I did her taxes last night and Turbo Tax prompted me to put in the numbers for the premium tax credit.

I am not sure if she is eligible or not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

My adult daughter is on ssi. She has been buying health care through the Affordable care act. Is she eligible for the premium tax credit

Your daughter is eligible for a Premium Tax Credit if her income is below four times the Federal Poverty Level for her filing status. (See the screenshot below.)  As her modified AGI approaches four times the FPL, the PTC is eliminated.

When you enter her 1095-A, the allowable Premium Tax Credit is calculated on Form 8962 and compared with the PTC she actually received, which is listed on the 1095-A.

If you haven't received a copy of her 1095-A, you will need to get it, or her refund will be delayed. You can contact her insurance company and ask them to read the numbers to you. It helps if you can print out a blank copy of Form 1095-A before you call them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Your daughter is eligible for a Premium Tax Credit if her income is below four times the Federal Poverty Level for her filing status. (See the screenshot below.)  As her modified AGI approaches four times the FPL, the PTC is eliminated.

When you enter her 1095-A, the allowable Premium Tax Credit is calculated on Form 8962 and compared with the PTC she actually received, which is listed on the 1095-A.

If you haven't received a copy of her 1095-A, you will need to get it, or her refund will be delayed. You can contact her insurance company and ask them to read the numbers to you. It helps if you can print out a blank copy of Form 1095-A before you call them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies