Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2022 tax return had problems because of wrong SSN and it's still being processed. What do i do to get it?

I'm a uni student who worked in the US in the summer of 2022 through work&travel program. I filed my tax return using Turbotax, and when I filed it, my W-2 had an incorrect SSN. I just wrote my SSN correctly in the filling row but attached the W-2 despite it. After 21 days my return was still processing so I asked my employer for W-2c to get my tax return processed through. My employer sent the W-2c after a month and a half and the experts in the community advised me that IRS would process my tax return as soon as my SSN was corrected and the W-2c was sent to IRS and the return should be deposited to my account after 2-3 weeks by itself but it's been months now since and I don't know what to do more. I called the IRS on what to do multiple times and they sent a 5071c letter, I followed everything on the letter on September 21st as soon as I got the letter. Verified my identity and uploaded my files on the IRS website too. Waited 9 weeks nothing happened. Called the IRS once again they advised me to upload all my files to irs.gov/reply and wait 60 days I did. But it's already 2024 and more than 60 days passed. No development. What do I do now? I'm in a slump basically. Do I amend? or is there a possible way that I can file the 2022 tax from the start again? or start over through another tax-calculating website? I don't get what's the best option. I could use the extra money right now in my life. Please give me advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

My 2022 tax return had problems because of wrong SSN and it's still being processed. What do i do to get it?

It is a waiting game and I understand. When assisting someone with a similar situation it was over two years for resolution with correspondence.

You have completed everything you can. I would advise to hold for now because it is taking months to get a response from the IRS at this time without reason.  

Prepare and have ready: A complete copy of your tax return, signed but with the words 'Possible Duplicate' at the top.  Include the original W-2 and the W-2C. Be sure to include your 5071c letter and have it all ready to mail to the address on the letter.  Talk to your Congressman's office to see if they will assist.

No, do not amend because you are not changing any income, deductions or credits on your return. This can delay even longer while they sort it our.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DianeW777 Hi. Thank you for the reply and the advice. I'll try to contact my representative as it seems like the best option for now. Is it okay to just call my representative and ask for their help through the phone? The thing I'm concerned about is that I can't send all my files in person as I'm out of state. So is it possible to ask for their help while sending my files and documents through email? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can call and then ask their suggested procedure for handling the documents.  The IRS did not take so long in the past to resolve situations. They will provide guidance or direction for your next steps.

@PurevsurenCh 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies