My 1099G amount and my unemployment amounts don’t ...

jchad3000

My 1099G amount and my unemployment amounts don’t match. The amount they gave me seems to have been taxed 20%. Any help?

rjs

Does your 1099-G have federal income tax withheld in box 4 or state income tax withheld in box 11? That's how you get credit for the tax that was withheld. But you have to report the gross amount in box 1 as income. It's just like as a W-2 that shows your gross pay, before taxes, in box 1, and shows the tax that was withheld.

When you enter your 1099-G in TurboTax check the box that says "Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment." Then on the next screen enter the tax amounts.

Is the amount in box 1?  Could it be for a state refund you got?  That's in box 2.  People have been mixing them up.