Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1095A (PTC - Health Insurance Coverage) showed I was recieving discounted state funded health insurance even while I was recieving employee sponsored health insurance. I have to pay that momey back even though I wasn't using that insurance??

Regarding the Premium Tax Credit - I had health insurance through Covered California for the first 4 months out of the tax year, and then once I got a job with benefits, I started recieving employer sponsored health insurance. However, even though I started recieving health insurance from my job in May, I didn't call to cancel Covered California because I assumed it would be automatically stopped.  I contined to pay for Covered Cali up until August (I essentually had "double" health coverage up until then).  When I recieved my 1095A, it was reflecting that I was recieving health coverage through them up until August.  Therefore, it appeared that I had to pay them back even more for the discounted rates they were initially giving me. (Also keep in mind my income drastically went up when I became employed, so the amount I had to pay them back was over $2k). Even though I had a 1095-C (form showing I was recieving healthcare by my employer) to show my Tax preparer, she still had to go by what my 1095A form was showing, which signaled I was having cheap insurance provided by Covered Cali.  Therefore, I got a substantiall chunk of money that was deducted from my refund ( money I had to pay back).  How can this be mitigated in the future??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My 1095A (PTC - Health Insurance Coverage) showed I was recieving discounted state funded health insurance even while I was recieving employee sponsored health insurance. I have to pay that momey back even though I wasn't using that insurance??

@cleatus232 

" I didn't call to cancel Covered California because I assumed it would be automatically stopped. "

You were supposed to cancel the ACA healthcare instead of assuming it would be cancelled automatically somehow.   This was your own fault.  Sorry.   You can try talking to healthcare.gov but there is nothing that TurboTax can do to help you mitigate the problem.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies