retvet0

Must I purchase my son, who lives in a home I own and will not file as he has no income, insurance under the Affordable Care Act or pay the penalty?

I am retired and my son and his wife lives in a home I own and will not file as he has no income, I support them 100%.  He has been unable to work for many years and in 2016 was told that he no longer qualifies for government assistance.  He receives limited medical aid from the county.  

He can request an exemption for having health insurance through healthcare.gov - https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/

TaxGuyBill

In the event that he does not have health insurance and does not qualify for a penalty exemption, yes, you would owe a penalty if you claim him as a dependent.