turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

George4

After filing an S-Corp extension, can I update a K-1 before filing the return?

I filed an extension for my 2016 S-Corp taxes.  I have since received help in calculating a Capital Stock profit/loss amount that needs to go on my K-1.

TurboTax Business says "Once you file your extension, do not make any changes to your extension entries because the information carries to your return."

How do I complete my taxes with the new (correct) information, which is different that the info I filed with my extension?

Can I simply make the changes and file normally?...or do I have to file with the old data, then file an amended return showing the new data?

The change affects the K-1 that's used for my personal taxes.  What's the proper order to complete the filings with the corrected data?

Thanks,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Just because you cannot update the extension information once the extension is filed does not mean that you cannot update information on your 1120S Form. Some of the information that you will not be able to change would be the name of the S-Corp and the EIN. Information related to the capital stock, balance sheet and profit and loss statements can be changed all the way up to when you actually file your 1120.

Therefore, you will simply make the changes and file normally by the extended due date.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

Just because you cannot update the extension information once the extension is filed does not mean that you cannot update information on your 1120S Form. Some of the information that you will not be able to change would be the name of the S-Corp and the EIN. Information related to the capital stock, balance sheet and profit and loss statements can be changed all the way up to when you actually file your 1120.

Therefore, you will simply make the changes and file normally by the extended due date.

George4

Music to my ears!  That's how I thought it should work, but needed verification.  Thank you so much for the quick response.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies