Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

YP55
Level 2

Multiple states filing

Hello.

I am retired NC resident for about 3 years.

I also have a rental property in SC.

I also still have W2 from my former employer that pays my Equity & Long-Term Cash Plan, taxing it in PA, where I use to live.

So, besides Federal return I need to file 3 States returns: NC, SC and PA.

After I finished all federal and state taxes, I see weird inconsistencies in the way TT software displays information.

On the last screen when TT is saying that everything is checked for accuracy, I can see Federal and all 3 states.

But

On the Tax Summary screen PA does not show at all

and

on the final States screen I see PA without saying that it’s for Nonresident.

I will attach two screenshots to illustrate it.

So, my question is: Will you be fixing this or I can just ignore it, because when I look at forms all states are there?

My second question is this:

Why TT is forcing me to do PA Schedule E for my SC rental. It should not be taxable in PA. How can I delete it?

My third question is this:

My former employer is saying that this will be last time I will be receiving W2 with taxes withdrawn for PA. But if I check the checkbox indicating that it will be final, TT is asking later to uncheck it because I am nonresident of PA.  Any ideas why?

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
YP55
Level 2

Multiple states filing

Adding screenshots to illustrate.Screen_1.pngScreen_2.png

Multiple states filing

Don't know the answer to some of this stuff....But did you Hit the EDIT next to the PA tax listing to go thru the entire PA Q&A there?   That should allow you to run thru teh PA Q&A to indicate it is for a Non-resident, then ask you questions as to what $$ belong to PA and what $$ do not.  That should (?) take out the SC rental $$ as PA income.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
YP55
Level 2

Multiple states filing

Yes, I did. I tried with check box " Not taxable in PA" and without it, but Schedule E is there no matter what.

Would it be OK to just delete it in a Form View or it's better just to leave it as is? Taxes seems to be calculated correctly. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Multiple states filing

Please do not make changes directly in the forms mode.  Especially if the taxes seem correct. 

If you change the forms View there may be unforeseen consequences to other areas of your return. 

In addition, TurboTax can NOT guaranty the accuracy of your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
YP55
Level 2

Multiple states filing

Thanks John. I agree.  I just will leave it as is. My taxes not changing because of that.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies