Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multiple Licenses

My computer won’t allow me to download turbo tax 23 (too old), so my dad is offering to do it on his computer. He has already filed his taxes through turbo tax and wants to know if he can still use my license code I purchased on his computer as well? Would he still be able to access his license code and taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Multiple Licenses

There is no need or reason to put another copy of the 2023 desktop software on your father's computer----and you would not be able to if you tried.     If he already has the software downloaded/installed, then up to five federal returns can be e-filed using his computer and his software.    Using his computer does not mean you will see any of his information or see his tax return.   You can use his PC (or Mac) and launch his desktop program from his hard drive, then click "File" at the top of the screen.  A drop down will appear and you click New Tax Return.   You can then use his program to prepare and e-file your own return.   If you do not want Dad to see your return, encrypt it and save it with a password (and keep a record for yourself of how to get to the return again someday).   Your return will be saved on Dad's hard drive and/or any back up device you use like a flash drive.  It will not be stored online in a TT account.

Seek a refund for unnecessary software you purchased.  Maybe take Dad a pizza for letting you use his computer.

To request a refund from TT ;  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Multiple Licenses

Thank you so much for your thorough response! I didnt even know you could request a refund. But I just remembered I need Turbo Tax Premier and he has a different version. Would he need to download another copy of TurboTax in that case? He already filed his taxes but I have not yet filed mine.

Multiple Licenses

You do not say why you need Premier.  Every version of the desktop software has all the same forms and schedules.   Does your dad have Deluxe?   If you really need the extra guidance from Premier it is possible to upgrade his software to Premier and just pay the difference of the prices for Deluxe and Premier.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies