Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multi-state income

I am a full time resident of Alabama. I have land that is leased out and farmed in Georgia, from which I received a K-1.  But when I go to do my state taxes, ALL of my income is listed as earned in Georgia.  The only income I have other than the land lease in Georgia is capital gains and interest, as I am retired but not yet drawing social security. Why does this happen? Shouldn't all my income populate first to Alabama and then I take out the portion earned in Georgia instead of the other way around? Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Multi-state income

Did you complete the Georgia state return first? When preparing returns in multiple states, it's best to do your nonresident and/or part-year resident state returns first, and your resident state last.

If you started with Alabama, try deleting both states, then work on Georgia first.

To delete a state, on the Status of your state returns screen, select Delete next to your state, then answer Yes.

If you’ve already paid your state fees, you can’t delete your return, but you can start over by selecting Start Over next to your state return on the Status of your state returns screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Multi-state income

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I started with my non-resident state.  The very first screen that comes up says "before we calculate your Georgia retirement exclusion, we need to allocate some income between taxpayer and spouse."  Then there are 4 blocks - 2 for Georgia amounts and 2 for other state amounts. What is "pre-filled in" is "Capital gains/other losses" for the correct amount, but it's under Georgia, my non-resident state. Given that my address is in Alabama and I've told Turbotax I lived here the entire year, shouldn't it be under Other State? Is this a glitch in Turbotax? Just does not make any sense to me.

Multi-state income

Another issue as I go through my Georgia return. I've allocated ALL my income to Alabama except my K-1 income for Georgia land lease income. I have a calculated refund amount of $798, yet TurboTax says I didn't pay enough tax in 2023 and may owe a penalty.  I made quarterly estimated tax payments. This can't be calculating my taxes correctly!  Very frustrated with TurboTax!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Multi-state income

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies