Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msbambi22

Moved States - Taxed 2x on Same Income

I moved for a job this year and thought I was on it because I added the new state in my employers system to take state taxes out timed perfectly to the move. I inadvertently however, left my old state in too, so I was paying state taxes to 2 different states for 2 pay periods before I realized and corrected it.

Can I adjust the values in Turbo Tax for the old state that I overpayed?

(Its also a larger sum than normal taxes paid because I received my sign on bonus in one of those pay periods - not sure if this would make any difference or not)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Moved States - Taxed 2x on Same Income

No, you should not adjust the values shown on your W-2 when you are completing your return to account for the dates of your move.  You're W-2 should be entered exactly as you have received it.  

However, when you are working through the two part-year resident returns you will be able to allocate the correct amount of income to each of the states so that it will not be double-taxed.  Since one state had more tax withheld that you expected, that should mean that you will just have more of a refund or less balance due for that state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies