Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PAMID7

Where do you take the Deduction for Military Pay for Virginia State Tax? It was not done automatically.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Where do you take the Deduction for Military Pay for Virginia State Tax? It was not done automatically.

The deduction for active-duty military pay is taken on Virginia Schedule ADJ, lines 6b-d, using code 38 (or code 30 for duty in a combat or hazardous duty zone).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
PAMID7

Thank you...but that is not the question  I asked...I guess intuit changed it to what they wanted.  I had originally typed:  where do you take the deduction for Military Retirement Pay for Virginia State Tax?  It was not done automatically.  (Retirement was the key word)  

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

The deduction for military retirement pay for Virginia state tax can be deducted by following the instructions below:

1. Open your Virginia state return.
  2. Continue through the return until you get to the page, Here's the income that Virginia handles differently.
  3. Click Start next to Military Benefits Subtraction.
  4. Enter the information on the following screens accordingly. 

The maximum amount of the subtraction is:
-$20,000 for Taxable Year 2023
-$30,000 for Taxable Year 2024
-$40,000 for Taxable Year 2025 and after.
NOTE: If a joint return is filed by two married members of the military both receiving qualifying benefits, each spouse would be able to take advantage of the maximum subtraction amount for his or her qualifying benefits.

@PAMID7 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies