Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved in 2023 - VA to NC. Completed fed return, but cant do VA- TT says "Follow this link for step by step instructions" but the link is to generic TT support page.

Link goes to (https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us).  I have no ability to do the VA state step by step interview process, and reviewing 'Forms' does not point out errors.  I've used TT for years for self & family.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Moved in 2023 - VA to NC. Completed fed return, but cant do VA- TT says "Follow this link for step by step instructions" but the link is to generic TT support page.

Yes, we will need some clarifying information to help you with this experience.  What TurboTax product are you using, online or desktop (CD/Download)?  At what point or after completing what step are you encountering the message?  Were you able to start a NC return? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm using TT Deluxe (downloaded). I completed fed return, & bought VA & NC downloads.  I was unable to get into VA, so I did NC state return. Now back at VA, but caught in loop.

Finished Fed review & Smartchek - no issues.
Next screen is "Let's work on state review."  (has icons for Cal, NC, & VA on top)
Next screen is 'your state returns' and shows  North Carolina         Part Year Resident             Edit (button)
                                                                                   Virginia                  Part Year Resident             Edit (button)
'Click' on 'Edit' Virginia, and get new screen:
            How to file Virginia return
            Based upon ....use married filing separate as filing status.
            Follow "this link" (hyperlink) for step by step instructions on how to do this.

'Click' on "this link" takes you to site:  
(it goes to a site ... GEN12505 but only for a moment then autodirects to the link "Tax Support: Answers...

No 'interview' or step by step process. I've tried to review forms, and have been correcting errors in the VA state forms that I'm finding...

I ran another Review, and it sends me back to 'work on VA taxes.'
thanks, Jim
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

It looks like you may be filing a joint federal return, but if only one of you has indicated in the "My Info" section that you are VA resident, VA requires the resident to file a separate VA return.  Here is the VA reference (see filing status 3).  

You can create a separate TurboTax account if using an online product and only enter the information for the separate return. 

Alternatively, you can use a TurboTax desktop product, transfer the joint returns to that product and create the "Mock" separate federal return and VA separate return all in the same product. 

Whether you use an online or desktop product, you will need to create a "Mock" federal separate return for the one of you who is/was a VA resident.  Information from that "Mock" federal return will flow into the VA separate return.  You will not file the "Mock" federal return since you are filing a joint federal return, so you will print/mail the VA separate part-year return.

NOTE:  In the "Mock" federal return you will indicate that you lived in two different states.  This will prompt a second state part-year return.  However, if you are/will file a joint return in that state, you do not need to complete/file that state's part-year separate return.  

With that in mind here is the link to help you accomplish that filing. 

If you decide on the desktop route.  Be sure to download/install all the states you need (joint and separate) as well.  

Once you have the desktop product, open that and "Continue from an online return" to get your already started online returns into the desktop product. 

After all the joint return information is in you can then use the "File" tab to start a new return which will be the "Mock" federal return.  Be sure when you exit and you are asked if you want to save the file, you indicate yes and name it "Mock" or something so you know which return is which.

I understand what you are saying and your solution. Thanks for answering & suggestion.

I checked our personal info again, both list State of res: NC; Previous state of res: VA

Date of moving both 7/25/23.

I checked the TT VA Info worksheet cause it says part yr resident filing status "4" 

the explanation box (rt 'click') on that "X" box:

The filing status comes from the federal return. Because Virginia has different rules, the federal filing status is converted to a Virginia filing status as follows:

Federal to Virginia

- Single -> Single
- Married Filing Joint -> Married Filing Joint (Form 760, Form 763)
- Married Filing Joint -> Married Filing Combined Separate (Form 760PY)  (this is me, Part Year resident)
- Married Filing Separate -> Married Filing Separate
- Head of Household -> Single
- Qualifying Surviving Spouse -> Single

If the federal filing status is Married Filing Joint, and you're a part-year resident filing Form 760PY (this is me!), the program chooses a Virginia filing status of Married Filing Separate Combined, which usually results in a lower tax liability. You can choose to file Married Filing Jointly by checking the corresponding box. The combined separate filing status is not available to residents and nonresidents filing Virginia Form 760 or Form 763.

Any further suggestions?  I'm going to change back to MFJ and see if that lets me complete a VA interview process.  If not, I'll try to address remaining 'errors' in the forms.   Now I just want to get this over... I may do a mock 2nd fed return, & Pt Yr return doing the VA part first, see what the difference is... for the extra 3-4 hrs work... thanks again.  Can't imagine why this years returns are problematic.  I already did one daughter's taxes on TT, & second daughter this weekend, & did my Dad's fed return before he passed in Feb...  

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Sounds like you might just need to remove the VA state return and start it over.  In the "File" tab select "Remove State Return".  This will delete the return but not the program and allow you to restart the VA state return.  Then click on the "State Taxes" tab again and "Start" the VA return. 

I started a 'mock' new return but after an hour, I just gave up & restarted/edited all my fields in first return.  After fed review was clear, it asked & I started Virginia state return, expecting same loop error, but it allowed me to do the complete interview, then go on to my NC return.  I'm now looking at the $45k that I owe to fed, NC & VA, and wondering if my 'apportionment' to VA earnings (56.4% of year) vs NC (43.6%) should in fact be spread (evenly) over the year, or be adjusted... in the end, I'm up to the part where I put in my banking info, so I'd call that a success so far.  I'll drop out unless it doesn't file... Thank you for your time & attention.  I'm hoping both my daughters start using TTax by themselves next year, since I'm walking them thru it on Zoom, & in person this year!  have a good 'tax' season!  Jim

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies