Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from one state to another at the end of the year

I moved from MA to AZ at early December last year for work and was living in a hotel until early this year. Initially the tax was withheld for both states, but was adjusted after telling the HR (which happened earlier this year). I have received the w-2c with box 16 corrected to 0 for MA while the part for AZ remain unchanged.

1. What would be the correct way to file? Part year for both? One full year and one non-residence?
    1. Uncertain about it as I did not have a permanent address in AZ last year nor did I apply for any resident documents such as driver license. So not sure if I count as resident of AZ.
    2. I also was receiving public health care provided by MA as I was unemployed before moving to AZ. In order to be receiving the health care, I'd have to be residence of MA, so I can't file non-residence for MA.
  2. What should I enter for the state wages?
    1. 0 for MA and full amount for AZ (corrected box 16)
    2. full amount for both states (box 16 before corrected, wages for both states appears the same value)
    3. allocate income between the two states according to your dates of residency (11/12 for MA and 1/12 for AZ)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Moved from one state to another at the end of the year

You will file part-year in both states and allocate based on the period of residence for each state. In the "My Info" section indicate you lived in AZ on 31 Dec and answer "Yes" you lived in another state (MA).  Enter the date you moved to AZ.  In the "Wages & Income" section enter the form W2 just as you received it (corrected version).  Finally in each of the state interviews you will allocate each of your income sources based on you time in each state (i.e. 11/12 months wages in MA).    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies