Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I would only like to file my state taxes and it will not let me add my W-2 anywhere. It says it already got the data from my federal but I have not input any data.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I would only like to file my state taxes and it will not let me add my W-2 anywhere. It says it already got the data from my federal but I have not input any data.

Most of the information in the state tax return comes from the federal tax return. In order to prepare a state tax return in TurboTax, you first have to prepare your federal tax return in TurboTax, even if you won't file it with TurboTax. You would enter your W-2 in the federal tax return, and the information will flow to the state tax return. If you already filed a federal tax return somewhere else, you have to make sure that the federal tax return you create in TurboTax exactly matches the one that you filed. If you filed your federal tax return with a different company, it would be easier to use the same company for your state tax return, because the federal tax return is already there. Also, you will not be able to e-file your state tax return with TurboTax if you didn't e-file your federal tax return with TurboTax. You would have to print the state tax return and file it by mail.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Most of the information in the state tax return comes from the federal tax return. In order to prepare a state tax return in TurboTax, you first have to prepare your federal tax return in TurboTax, even if you won't file it with TurboTax. You would enter your W-2 in the federal tax return, and the information will flow to the state tax return. If you already filed a federal tax return somewhere else, you have to make sure that the federal tax return you create in TurboTax exactly matches the one that you filed. If you filed your federal tax return with a different company, it would be easier to use the same company for your state tax return, because the federal tax return is already there. Also, you will not be able to e-file your state tax return with TurboTax if you didn't e-file your federal tax return with TurboTax. You would have to print the state tax return and file it by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies