Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage loan transferred within 10 days, got 2 separate Form 1098. How are points deductions calculated

Can someone walk me through how to input the two Form 1098s I got? I took out a mortgage loan in 2023 , paid $10700 in points, and in 10 days the loan got transferred to another lender. I got 2 Form 1098s as a result. All my points paid are shown in the 1st 1098 and none in the second 1098.

1) When entering the 1st original Form 1098 from original lender, do I check the box "This loan was paid off or refinanced with a different lender in 2023" even though I technically didnt pay it off or refinanced? I just worry that if I check off this box that my points will no longer be taken out of the future tax refunds. 

2) On the 1st Form1098 from original lender, If I check off that box "This loan was paid off or refinanced with a different lender in 2023", my deductible point is $10700. But if I dont check it off, it becomes $167. But either way it doesnt affect my refund amount. Which do I do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Mortgage loan transferred within 10 days, got 2 separate Form 1098. How are points deductions calculated

Since the note was sold, you didn't "refinance" the loan. Instead, enter the points from the first 1098 on the second 1098. Indicate that the first 1098 is not the "most recent." This will avoid problems with your total mortgage balance exceeding the limit.

If you are unable to itemize your deductions, there's no difference between reporting all the points this year and spreading the points over several years. Either way, you are getting the standard deduction -- which is why your refund doesn't change.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, 

hm my points is on the original 1st Form 1098 though. Why would I report the points on the 2nd Form 1098 with the transferred company if it doesn’t show on the actual Form? Aren’t I supposed to fill in the info exactly as I see it? 

also, I’m actually doing an itemized deduction and it shows all the points I paid as deductible amount. But then for some reason it didn’t change my refund amount at all. Why is that? 

thanks for your help! 

How did you resolve this issue? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you have the same situation where the mortgage was sold you must follow the instruction provided by @PatriciaV so that TurboTax carries the full amount of the points to Schedule A. See the information posted here for your convenience.

• Enter the points from the first 1098 on the second 1098. Indicate that the first 1098 is not the 'most recent'. This will avoid problems with your total mortgage balance exceeding the limit (assuming it is at or below $750,000 ($1 million before 2018).

Review the tax return before filing to be sure all are included if you itemize deductions. 

The refund changes with various income and deductions. If all of your information for itemized deductions is shown you can be confident the return is accurate..

@smokeydokey 

@nrp13 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies