Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missouri State Tax Calculation Error

I am using TurboTax online to file my 2021 taxes. My husband's Missouri state tax withholding was $1700. A MO-2NR payment of $611 was also made. However, on the “Your Missouri Bottom Line” page it says Missouri Tax Withholding $1089, Nonresident Partner Withholding $611, and Total Payments and Credits $1700. It has subtracted the $611 payment from my W-2 withholding amount. How do I report this, and how can I fix it so I can get my taxes filed on time?

Payments and Credits

Missouri Tax Withholding                  $1,089 (should be $1700 and is entered correctly on the W-2)

Nonresident Partner Withholding   $611

Total Payments and Credits              $1,700 (should be $2,311)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Now that you have the correct amount as credit for your return, you can efile. Your MO return line 35 is incorrect. The state also has a copy of the w2 and should be able to see the difference.

If the state asks any questions, simply send them a copy of the w2 with the state tax highlighted showing the correct amount and a letter explaining the difference.  I am sorry this has been such an ordeal for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can Contact Us  or you can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

If you are online, go to tax tools>tools > share file with agent > 6 digit number pops up.

If on desktop, go to online >send tax file to agent > number pops.

Reply with # here and @AmyC please

Did you put the 611 in box 1?  It should be in Box 2 if it is withholding

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends on where you entered the withholding amount from the MO-2NR. Be sure to remove it from the original entry slot.

The nonresident partner withholding, can be entered into TurboTax using the following steps.

1. Sign into your TurboTax account > once inside the return select Deductions and Credits at the top
  2. Scroll to Estimate and Other Taxes Paid > Show More > Start/Revisit beside Income Taxes Paid > Scroll to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2020
  3. Continue to Start Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099

This will allow both federal and state additional withholding not entered in any other location.

@mxturner918

979035 @AmyC 

I don't have a W-2 for it. Our LLC pays it each year from a MO-2NR and MO-NRP. I have entered it on the appropriate line of the MO-2NR where it says to enter it.

I should enter it as a withholding instead of a payment? The payment was just made by the LLC last week.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You're going to go in to your federal return and enter this payment as an estimated payment that was made on your behalf.  Estimated payments are entered under the deductions and credits section of your federal return.  Go through the interview process and tell it the source of the payment and what it applies to.  Just so you know - this may mean that you are unable to efile the return.

@RobertB4444 I did as you instructed, and this is what I now have. The total amount is right, but the Missouri Tax Withholding amount from my W-2 is still wrong. Am I going to get into trouble for filing it this way? At this point everything I have tried still does not put the $1700 amount on the Missouri Tax Withholding amount, and I'm ready to be done with it. 

withholding.jpg

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Now that you have the correct amount as credit for your return, you can efile. Your MO return line 35 is incorrect. The state also has a copy of the w2 and should be able to see the difference.

If the state asks any questions, simply send them a copy of the w2 with the state tax highlighted showing the correct amount and a letter explaining the difference.  I am sorry this has been such an ordeal for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies