Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missing stimulus #1 and #2 but cant amend without sending back unemployment refund.

Hello, 

I accidentally marked myself as dependent/claimable when I wasnt which made me ineligible for the stimulus payments #1 and #2. I also had unemployment so I was told to not amend until they sorted out the unemployment refund. 
I received my unemployment refund but not the stimulus checks. I went to amend but there was no option to add recovery rebate credit and it is now asking me to send my unemployment refund back to the government. 
How can I ensure this will be sorted out? Also, what do I do if I do not have the money they require me to send back? Is there another way to amend/claim recovery rebate? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Missing stimulus #1 and #2 but cant amend without sending back unemployment refund.

If you are only filing to get the RRC then you should NOT have to repay any refund so you are doing something wrong.   The column A of the 1040X must start with the return AS CHANGED by the IRS  so you must download the tax file and open it in the program and make the unemployment correction before you start the amendment process.  Only then can you start the amendment process and go to the MY INFO tab to undo the "I can be claimed as a dependent" answer  and then you will get the stimulus credit questions as you enter into the REVIEW tab.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies