turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military Reservist

Hello,

My husband is a military reservist and therefore has a regular full-time civilian job.  In 2023 we moved to NY from CT for his civilian job.  I selected that he is a reservist therefore according to tax rules, his permanent state of residence does not apply because he's not active duty.  When I try to add in the different states we lived in and the dates we moved etc, the system only allows the choices for the reason for moving as a temporary duty assignment or a PCS (neither of which apply to us because he's a reservist!)  It seems as though there's a glitch in the turbotax system.  I've spent over 3 hours of my time in chats with turbotax professionals none of which can figure out how to help me.  

Because of the states of residency issues in inputting it into the system, it then tells me that I can't file my state of CT tax return because we need to file as married filing separately.  This is so maddening to me.  I'm ready to switch tax services!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Military Reservist

Yes, CT does have special filing status rules and your military status does affect those statuses.  In the "My Info" section edit your spouse's information.  Answer "Yes" he had military service.  Select "Reserves" and answer he "Entered the military in 2023".  Be sure the box for "Military all year long" is NOT checked.  Enter the states (NY and CT) that you lived in and select "Temporary Duty" as the reason for each, since military orders are not the reason for the move or residency status. 

Next enter NY as the state he lived in on Dec 31st and "Yes" he lived in another state.  Select CT and enter the date of the move to NY.  Continue to trigger the changes.

Now verify your personal information.  You lived in NY on 31 Dec and lived in another state (CT) be sure to use the same date for the date you moved to NY as the one used for your spouse earlier.  Continue to trigger the changes.

Also verify "Married Filing Joint" is selected in the "MY Info" section.

You can continue your CT state interview now and it should allow the married filing joint status.

@jenniemess 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies