Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SWTL9

Military Free Filing

Every year I have a hard time filing for free. We meet the requirement of E1 - E5 using the deluxe version. But the discount doesn't apply automatically. And when I get someone on the phone the call always "drops". Is there an easier way to try to get the discount to apply to our return? I am in the middle of trying to get ahold of someone at turbotax again. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Military Free Filing

Enlisted and Active Duty:   As long as you have a w-2 from DFAS entered in TurboTax and your rank is entered as E-1 - E-5 in the My Info section (see below), TurboTax will automatically apply the discount.   Military Promo - Thank you for your service!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SWTL9

Military Free Filing

We entered both of these fields. We have tried deleting them and re-entering them. As well as starting over. But it is not automatically applying the military discount  😅

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Military Free Filing

Try logging out, clearing cache and cookies then try again for the discount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SWTL9

Military Free Filing

Ok so Jordan from TurboTax was able to help me get this resolved. 

In case anyone else has the same issue: she had me go to wages and income and delete the W2, then go to my info and remove active duty and save. Then re-enter everything. We did a screen share as she walked me through these steps, I am not sure if that made a difference because it did not work for me when I did it myself. She said unfortunately I will just need to call again next year if it happens again because it could just be a glitch. 

Thanks 😊

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies