Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military Discount??

There are multiple services that provides free tax preparation services for the military members, Turbo tax also advertises that they offer free service but consumer needs to be very mindful and careful when selecting any options during this process. You will be constantly pushed to upgrade or add multiple services. When i began my tax return (under the impression it would be free) there were so many extra services that kept appearing and after constantly declining options to upgrade - when i finally completed my return I was already upgraded to Premier account. I was charged 75$ for federal and 50$ for state. Mind you my state return is less than 200$.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Military Discount??

TurboTax Online (Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed) is free for enlisted active duty military and reserve personnel.

To get started, enter your military W-2 and verify your military rank when prompted within your chosen TurboTax Online product (Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed). Your discount will automatically be applied when you file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Military Discount??

***Your discount will automatically be applied when you file. (Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed)  

I uploaded my W2 from the military but I was charged 125$ for using the Premier. So, I guess the automatically be applied does not really apply.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Military Discount??

Please ensure you have listed your military status and pay grade. 

To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return. 
  2. Click on My Info.
  3. Click Edit next to your name.
  4. Answer Yes to the statement I am a member or former member of the US Armed Forces (active, reserve or National Guard).
  5. Click Continue.
  6. The next pages should ask your military status and pay grade.

Please keep in mind that Officers, non-commissioned officers, warrant officers, veterans, and non-enlisted service members don’t qualify for free TurboTax Online discount at this time.

Thank you for your service. 

@liverpool

Military Discount??

Does this apply when we have already filed for the return?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Military Discount??

In order for the discount to apply, it would have needed to be input prior to submitting the return. 

You can try to contact customer support to see if they can apply a partial refund if you have already submitted your return. 

Military Discount??

Can you please elaborate "it would have needed to be input prior to submitting the return."

Besides W2 and inputting current employment information, what other information should be submitted?

Military Discount??

Attentions military members ... the military discount (note all versions are not free to all members)  ....

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/military/discussion/how-do-i-get-the-military-discount-in-turbotax...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/who-is-eligible-for-the-free-military-disc...

For future reference ... to get the truly  free filing   options you must link in thru the IRS site...

If you qualify you can use one of the 10 IRS FREE FILE options that will be available mid January ... for 2020 your AGI must be $72K or less ...  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

chris24yo

Military Discount??

I cannot get the free edition for military. I do have an Adoption exemption that I have not been able to get it to complete (Form 8839).  Does this exemption not allow on the free edition?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Military Discount??

Yes. you will qualify for the military discount when you enter your military information in the MY INFO section of your account. as you enter information about your yourself, there is a question asking you if you are a member of the military.  Here you will say yes and there will be a series of questions asking you about your service.  If you answer these favorably, you will receive a message telling you you have qualified for the Military Discount.

This may not appear as a version of Turbo Tax you are working in but the discount will be applied in the end when it asks you to pay for your product in the step 1 of the filing process.

As far as the adoption credit, you can claim the adoption credit without an upgrade to your Turbo Tax program. To report your adoption.

1.  Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Go to federal>deductions and credits>
  3. You and Your Family>Adoption Credit
  4. If you qualify for the credit after answering the questions, Form 8839 will be automatically generated in your return.

Note, if you did not enter your military information in the MY INFO section of your return, you may need to go back and revisit those questions.

Military Discount??

my military discount was not applied when I filed my return(s) and I was charged over $200.  I entered a W2 from military employer both in 2022 and 2023.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Military Discount??

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

Military Discount??

That did not work for me, I have been charged, and i cant find a phone number to call without upgrading to plus.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Military Discount??

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies