Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

riordanrobert
Returning Member

Merrill Lynch download for deceased taxpayer account

I am preparing tax returns for a deceased taxpayer.  Merrill Lynch sent hard copy 1099's and trade data for the deceased person's account, but I'm told I cannot download data into Turbotax (even though I have executor status and a prior POA).  Has anyone else encountered  this and perhaps found a way to have Merrill Lynch enable a download in these circumstances?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

You won't be able to upload a pdf copy (saved to your desktop) of the Merrill Lynch 1099-B.  To electronically import the deceased taxpayer's 1099-B, you will need that taxpayer's Merrill Login ID and Merrill password.  Perhaps the Login ID and password have already been reset and if so, as long as the new Login ID and password sync with the Merrill Lynch account, then you should be able to electronically import the 1099-B. 

To electronically upload the 1099-B, follow these steps.

1. Log into your account
  2. Select Income & Expenses
  3. Scroll down the page to Investment Income
  4. Select Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds...etc
  5. Respond to the questions that appear but you will need the Merrill Login ID and Merrill password to begin the importing process. 

Some firms have a security feature which prevents third-party access to account information.  Account holders can override this security feature but because each firm is different, you will need to contact Merrill Lynch to determine if such security feature exists and how to override it.  

@riordanrobert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
riordanrobert
Returning Member

Thanks.  Unfortunately Merrill has disabled all online access to the account due to the account holder's death.  The contact person at Merrill says that online access cannot now be made availble.  Must be a Merrill protocol.  I'm hopinig somebody may know of the "right" person to contact at Merrill to get this overidden assuming the same is even possible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies