Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WG16-TX
Returning Member

Medical Expenses error in TT

I opted to put no Medical Expenses in because we had very little.  When I finished my return and was reviewing it, that item showed $11,476.  Once I indicated the standard deduction was best, there was no way to get back to the screen to correct it.  I looked at my previous year's Turbo Tax prepared return and found that the return I had submitted had put even more for that line item.  Since you can't actually see your completed return until you pay for it and submit, I was unaware of that mistake either.  I am very disappointed that TT has this egregious error and that I'm not able to correct it without paying $109 more to talk to the help people. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Medical can come from other places, even from a W2 or 1099R.

Did you buy health insurance from the Marketplace exchange?  Or have to pay back the subsidy?  If you went to an exchange for Health Insurance, and had to pay back some of the subsidy, part of the adjustment will flow to Schedule A.

If you get Social Security benefits the medicare deduction on your SSA-1099 will flow to Schedule A.

Or are you seeing the amount listed for the 7.5% of AGI?

WG16-TX
Returning Member

We did buy health insurance on the exchange.  We did have to pay back some of the subsidy.  We are not receiving S.S. yet.  I can't see the actual return to know if there is the 7.5% of AGI.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you had health insurance on the marketplace then you entered in all of the amounts that you paid out of pocket as well as the amount that you have to pay back (if any) when filing.  That total amount is what the system is entering as medical expenses.

@WG16-TX 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies