Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Clemson93

Married, living in different states

My husband and are are filing jointly for federal.  I live/work in OH full time.  I rent here.  He is retired and spends most of his time at our home in WA.  WA does not have state income tax.  How should we file for my OH state taxes?  Also, how to I bypass the "when did he establish residency in OH" question on turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Married, living in different states

You must a joint OH return if you file a joint federal return.  In the "My Info" section edit your personal information.  Indicate you lived in OH on 31 Dec and did not live in any other state.  Edit your spouse's personal information and indicate he lived in WA on 31 Dec and did not live in any other state.  This serves two purposes.  

1.  You will not be asked for a date of move to OH.  

2.  In the OH return interview you will see a page in the "Residency" section that shows you as resident and your spouse as non-resident.  

Any income attributed to him in the federal interview will be non-OH source income.  This will be used to calculate a non-resident credit on your joint OH return based on the proportion of income that is your spouse's and not in OH. This credit is automatically calculated in TurboTax based on your "My Info" and income entries.  

Here is an OH reference.  (See page 15 "Filing Status") 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies