Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filing jointly vs separate for VA return

Good day all,

My wife and I are both full-time residents of MD and both work fulltime in MD. In 2023, my wife did a side gig in VA and received a 1099-NEC. 

My question - what is the proper way to file the VA state return? From my understanding, 1099-NEC is not considered income or wages. Do I do it married filing jointly? Or married filing separate? If I have to do married filing separate, Turbotax doesn't give me that option as I am filing jointly on my federal. 

Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Married filing jointly vs separate for VA return

You are correct the 1099-NEC income is not wages/salary and thus do need to be filed as non-resident in VA.  Since you are both VA non-resident and both have income, but only one has VA income, you must file in VA using filing status 4, a separate non-resident VA return.  Therefore in TurboTax using a joint federal return does not allow filing status 4, a separate VA return.

In TurboTax the best way to handle filing a federal joint return and a separate non-resident VA return is using a desktop product since several returns can be created in one product.   You will create and file your joint federal return and joint MD return.  You then create a "Mock" separate return for the spouse with VA source income and only include that spouse's income/deductions on that "Mock" separate return.  That "Mock" federal return will not be filed, but is used to create a VA non-resident return with filing status 4 for printing/mailing. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies