Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filing jointly for first time.

Do we file ONE return for both of us?  And if we do, how do I get MY refund (he is not getting a refund for Federal or State). I’ve used Turbo Tax in previous years, so Turbo Tax has my banking info for direct deposit. Will my refunds be deposited to the account on file? When he submitted the 2023 Return, he was not prompted to enter any of my banking info.

We both had initially completed individual returns (that’s how I know I’m getting Federal and State refunds).
He submitted the (joint) return he was working on. When I tried to submit mine, it was rejected with the error code: 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This is a good example of why you should ask questions first.   When you file a joint return you put all of the information on ONE tax return for both spouses.   ALL of your combined income, dependents, credits, deductions, etc. go on that ONE tax return.  ONE refund (or one amount of tax due) is issued to the two of you, so banking information for the refund should have been included on that return.  If no banking information was entered, and a refund is issued, it will come as a paper check to the address on your tax return, with both names on it.

You will need to check and see if all of the income ---- all of his income and all of your W-2's, 1099's, etc. etc. --- were entered on the return that was e-filed.   If income was left out, the return will have to be amended after it has been fully processed.   You cannot file your own return now----your SSN has been put into the system and cannot be used on another return.   

Print out the returns.   Is there a refund on line 35a?  Or tax due on line 37?   We do not know what state you are in, so we cannot tell you what lines to look at on the state returns.  But somewhere near the bottom it will show the state refund or state tax due.   

If you need to amend, post back and we can help with how to do that.   Best Wishes!

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

The return your spouse prepared will have to be amended.   When you (or he) amend it, all of your income must be added to that return.   Understand that since you are filing a joint return with your spouse, the refund might not be exactly the same amount you were seeing when you prepared returns for yourself using "single" filing status.   You have not mentioned what income your spouse received. You only say he owed zero and was getting no refund.  

The amended return must be done using the account and user ID that your spouse used when he prepared the return.  You have to work from the original return exactly as it appeared when it was filed.

Perhaps you should be the one to use the account he used and do the amendment since you seem to be more tax savvy.  🙂

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

When you are entering information for a joint return, there will be spots on the income entry screens for each spouse by name.  If you click Add W-2, it should give you spots to choose which name to enter the income under; same thing with any sort of 1099--- it will show you spots for each spouse's name.   

Unfortunately, it takes the IRS a long time to process an amended return, so you are going to have a wait for your refund.   It can take them four to six months to process an amended return.   If the federal return was e-filed, you should be able to e-file the amended return.   

Then....

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

This is a good example of why you should ask questions first.   When you file a joint return you put all of the information on ONE tax return for both spouses.   ALL of your combined income, dependents, credits, deductions, etc. go on that ONE tax return.  ONE refund (or one amount of tax due) is issued to the two of you, so banking information for the refund should have been included on that return.  If no banking information was entered, and a refund is issued, it will come as a paper check to the address on your tax return, with both names on it.

You will need to check and see if all of the income ---- all of his income and all of your W-2's, 1099's, etc. etc. --- were entered on the return that was e-filed.   If income was left out, the return will have to be amended after it has been fully processed.   You cannot file your own return now----your SSN has been put into the system and cannot be used on another return.   

Print out the returns.   Is there a refund on line 35a?  Or tax due on line 37?   We do not know what state you are in, so we cannot tell you what lines to look at on the state returns.  But somewhere near the bottom it will show the state refund or state tax due.   

If you need to amend, post back and we can help with how to do that.   Best Wishes!

How do I pay you for this advice!!! You are amazingly fast and knowledgeable!!! He didn't enter my W-2 or 1099's. He didn't ask for them. All he said he needed was 2022's AGI from my tax return, which I provided.

Yes, I have a refund listed on line 35a AND on line 29 of my Georgia state return.

So...I guess I need to amend. How do I do that? Do I need to file an extension since I need to wait until his return is processed. He's is getting $0 back and owes $0 for both federal and state. Although I would imagine that it should be processed pretty quickly as he got an email almost immediately that his returns were both accepted.

THANK YOU for your EXPERTISE!

The return your spouse prepared will have to be amended.   When you (or he) amend it, all of your income must be added to that return.   Understand that since you are filing a joint return with your spouse, the refund might not be exactly the same amount you were seeing when you prepared returns for yourself using "single" filing status.   You have not mentioned what income your spouse received. You only say he owed zero and was getting no refund.  

The amended return must be done using the account and user ID that your spouse used when he prepared the return.  You have to work from the original return exactly as it appeared when it was filed.

Perhaps you should be the one to use the account he used and do the amendment since you seem to be more tax savvy.  🙂

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

When you are entering information for a joint return, there will be spots on the income entry screens for each spouse by name.  If you click Add W-2, it should give you spots to choose which name to enter the income under; same thing with any sort of 1099--- it will show you spots for each spouse's name.   

Unfortunately, it takes the IRS a long time to process an amended return, so you are going to have a wait for your refund.   It can take them four to six months to process an amended return.   If the federal return was e-filed, you should be able to e-file the amended return.   

Then....

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

THANK YOU AGAIN! I amended the return successfully…I think (I got an “Accepted” email)! You described the steps perfectly! I am confident in your help and feel good about this filing. I don’t mind waiting for both refunds (both were lower than when I filed as “Single” as you said). This is an amazing and knowledgeable staff helping us out here in the uninformed world! I can’t believe that I was never asked for any kind of payment! I’ve used TurboTax for many many years and never had an issue til this year. I will continue to recommend TurboTax for the ease of use AND NOW for the great customer support community!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies