Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married but living in separate states (NJ/NY)

Hi! Just got married in 2023 but we both lived in separate states for 2023. I lived in NJ and my husband lived in NY. We both earned income in NY and I run a side business in NJ. Wondering the best way to file our tax returns. Was looking to do join returns but not sure if/how to do that if we lived separately. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Married but living in separate states (NJ/NY)

Since you both had NY source income you should file a joint federal return and joint NY return and a joint NJ return as well. However, you will be able to allocate only your income to NJ and get a NY credit for any double taxed income.  Here are the steps:

1. In the federal "My Info" section
  2. Edit your husband's personal information
  3. Indicate he lived in NY on Dec 31st and no other states
  4. Married and wish to file jointly
  5. Edit your personal information
  6. Indicate you lived in NJ on 31 Dec and no other states
  7. Continue
  8. Still in the "My Info" section
  9. Scroll down to the "Other State Income" topic 
  10. Verify/answer "No" you did not earn income in another state.  You NJ return will generate based on your resident state answer previously
  11. In the "Wages & Income" section 
  12. Enter your income sources as normal (the same for deductions)
  13. Now work your NJ state interview before the NY state interview
  14. The nonresident return is the form/status you want for NJ as this will allow you to allocate only your income to NJ
  15. In the "Income/Adjustments" section you will allocate zero (0) of your (or your spouse's) NY wages to NJ.  This is correct because if you were filing separate NJ resident return NY would tax the income and NJ would give you a credit for those taxes.
  16. Allocate the business income to NJ and later you will get a credit on your NY return for those taxes (same reasoning as above only from NJ perspective).
  17. If you have joint income sources you should allocate your portion to NJ and get a credit on your NY return later (same reasoning as above from NJ perspective)
  18. Continue to complete the NJ interview
  19. Now you can work your NY return.  
  20. When you get to the Credits section you need to select the "Credit for taxes paid to another state"
  21. You will verify the NJ income and tax liability paid to NJ for the NY credit
  22. Continue
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies