turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tcaldwell23
Returning Member

Marketplace insurance allocation

Hello, I need help with insurance allocation from the marketplace. My ex and I finalized last December (2019), we were on the same marketplace application, but we had two separate policies one for her and one for myself. On the 1095-a's both of our names were on the each other's forums (as recipient and recipient's spouse) but she had her own individual BCBS policy that she paid for and I had my own as well that I personally paid for. Do I still need to mark that I shared a policy still and find out how/if she allocated it or can I just file that it was not shared.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you each had your own separate Marketplace policy, you would not have a shared policy. If you have a 1095-A that includes both names, then you had a shared policy and must prorate. Are the amounts exactly the same? It could be that for your convenience that they sent you each your own copy. You may want to check with the Marketplace.

Your insurance with BCBS is not entered on the return (unless you are itemizing and taking it as a medical expense) and has nothing to do with the Marketplace insurance.

Tcaldwell23
Returning Member

The amounts are different on them, in line (2) the "marketplace-assigned policy number" are different on each 1095-a and under the "Covered Individuals" on line (16) it has only one name on it, mine on one and my ex's name on the other.

My name was the primary on the marketplace application so I believe that's why they sent me both, but as far as I know she got her own copy since she has filed already. Unfortunately, she's hard to get a hold of so I wanted to confirm before going through a process

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You will file with your policy (1095-A) and she will file with her policy since filing separately.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies