Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oml_smith

I filed as single because I got married in November 18 2016 and was told that I should file as what I was for the majority of the year. What should I do if I am wrong.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed as single because I got married in November 18 2016 and was told that I should file as what I was for the majority of the year. What should I do if I am wrong.

I think that you find that filing as Married Filing Jointly is better than filing separately for tax purposes.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing jointly versus separately - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

But the choice is yours -

Either way you choose to file, MFJ or MFS, you will have to file an amended tax return, Form 1040X, to change your filing status.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2016 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3402261-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-turbotax-online-return

If you choose to file as MFS then your spouse is also going to have to file as MFS on a separate tax return.

If you choose to file as MFJ then your spouse will have to enter his tax data on the amended return along with your tax data.

An amended tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  All W-2's and Form 1099's that have federal taxes withheld need to be included with the mailed amended tax return.  The amended return also has to be signed and dated before mailing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You are wrong.  If you were legally married as of 12/31/2016 then you can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.
You will need to amend your tax return and use the correct filing status.  How did your spouse file their tax return?
oml_smith

He has not filed yet, but he did it both ways on turbo tax and found that filing married separately was the best option for him. How do I fix this?

I think that you find that filing as Married Filing Jointly is better than filing separately for tax purposes.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing jointly versus separately - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

But the choice is yours -

Either way you choose to file, MFJ or MFS, you will have to file an amended tax return, Form 1040X, to change your filing status.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2016 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3402261-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-turbotax-online-return

If you choose to file as MFS then your spouse is also going to have to file as MFS on a separate tax return.

If you choose to file as MFJ then your spouse will have to enter his tax data on the amended return along with your tax data.

An amended tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  All W-2's and Form 1099's that have federal taxes withheld need to be included with the mailed amended tax return.  The amended return also has to be signed and dated before mailing.

oml_smith

Many thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies