Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Make a raise work for me

I received a substantial raise and don't want to get clobbered at tax time. Is there a % of witholding or specific target I should aim for? How can I avoid owing taxes at the end of the year?


1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Make a raise work for me

Hello 1Nemo, 

Your best bet is to claim a zero for the number of dependents even if you have dependents so that enough tax is withheld.  You may also put an additional amount taken out in Step 4 (c).  Here is a Tax Withholding Estimator:

Hope it helps. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings