stefwright

Maine Unemployment Issue

I had a appeal I filed late, now they want me to pay back unemployment.  I didn't understand the paperwork they sent me which is why I filed late, they denied my appeal.  I don't know what I should do next, I cant afford to pay all of that unemployment back.  Should I appeal or file a waiver?  can you help?

AdamNe

Maine Unemployment Issue

Hi @stefwright ,

I'm sorry you're going through that! 

Each state has its own processes for handling these types of claims. I found this site: https://www.maine.gov/unemployment/overpayment/index.shtml which can help you understand what your best next steps would be. 

The link I provided has info about how to deal with an overpayment you may not be able to afford, and if you click "Appeals" in the left hand menu, you will also find info on how to appeal the decision in writing. 

AdamNe

Maine Unemployment Issue

Hi @stefwright ,

I'm sorry you're going through that!