Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joviet

Made less than expected but didn't report income change to state health insurance marketplace - would have qualified for Medicaid. Should I take Premium Tax Credit?

I received the Premium Tax Credit for all 12 months of 2018, and now TurboTax tells me that I am entitled to an additional lump sum payment of PTC in my refund. 

I made less income than I expected to in 2018. However, I (unintentionally) neglected to change my income level on the health insurance marketplace. Had I done so, I would have been determined to be eligible for Medicaid. 

My understanding is that you cannot take the PTC if you make less than (in my state) 138% of the federal poverty line, which, in 2018, I did. 

My guess is that the software is coming up with this additional PTC because it is rectifying the difference in my expected and actual income for 2018. But, because I would have qualified for Medicaid had I updated my income, I technically should not have been eligible to receive the PTC. 

My concern is that I am not actually eligible to receive the PTC refund that TurboTax is offering me.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Made less than expected but didn't report income change to state health insurance marketplace - would have qualified for Medicaid. Should I take Premium Tax Credit?

Yes, you qualify for the Premium Tax Credit.

There is a special rule that says if you qualify when you sign up, you continue to qualify even though your income dropped.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies