Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jveritas

Logic problem in Turbotax section on Retirement Accounts and RMD

I assume my post will be public.  Therefore, contact me to enable me to provide my phone number in private.

There is a section providing for only two possible answers regarding having taken, or not taken an RMD on a U.S. Government pension.  Neither answer. One answer is YES, I've taken a partial or full RMD.  The other answer is NO, I have no taken an RMD.  The problem is that an RMD is not required on a Civil Service Retirement System pension/annuity.  Given this fact, the item and the two possible answers don't make sense. 

I'm using a MacBook Pro.

Please help. Thanks, Gerald M.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Jveritas

Addendum:  The item I described also states if the respondent has not taken an RMD, then he/she is subject to a 25% tax penalty.  So, if I were to answer "NO, I have not taken a partial or full RMD," then I'd be subject to this tax penalty.  But, again, an RMD is not required for the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). Thanks.

Gerald M.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

In your case, you answer "Yes" to having taken the RMD.

As Champ macuser_22 answered not long ago about this very situation, "If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan (including the CSRS) you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question."

So it's not that the RMD is not required, but that, by definition, if you get regular payments, you will have met the RMD.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies