Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

apatrick9

Logging in to my deceased father’s account?

My father filed an extension for my parents’ 2023 taxes but died before completing them. How do I log into his TurboTax account?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Essentially, you have to contact the security department so they can verify your story and reassign the account to you.  Expect it to take several days and you will need to fax them proof of identity and possibly proof of your father's death.  Or, if your mother is still alive but she wants you to handle the taxes, she may need to give you a limited power of attorney for you to fax to the security department.  You will have to contact them Monday and see what they want.  

Sorry for your loss.  Was he using the Online browser version or the Desktop installed program?  If he used the Desktop program for 2023 or prior  the only copy would be on his computer.   Had he started filling out the 2023 return?  If not you might not need to log into his account.  Just set up a new online account or use the Desktop program and do a new 2023 return  for him.  Do you have a copy of his 2022 return to see what items you need to have for 2023?  

Yes, what you really need to do depends on how complicated his return is and whether you need to import carryover items, or you can copy them over manually, or there are no carryover items.  If you don't need to import, you can start from scratch--just make an account that is separate from your own.  You do not need to file the return from the same account as the extension.  

Also note that if your mother is still alive, then she will sign a joint return for 2023.  Even if you prepare it, technically she "signs" it electronically.  If you want to be able to deal with the IRS in all matters regarding your mother's taxes, she needs to sign over to you a copy of form 2848, which is a limited power of attorney for tax purposes.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-2848

And if your mother is not competent right now, and did not sign a POA in the past, then she can't sign one now, and you need to go to court to be appointed her and your father's representative. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies