Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

License activition required every time I start Turbo Tax Premier 2022 Windows

I just bought TT Premier from Costco and elected the download. I started it and it wanted to gather info about me and then needed activation code. Once is okay. 

I transferred my 2021 return to 2022 (in same directory, NOT Documents), saved it and shut TT down.

Next time I started it, it wanted the same thing..I am already activated,

Why does it need this complicated code again?

Why does it think I am starting from scratch every time? This is really irritating.

Today I went to directory with my 2022 return and double clicked.  It started fine.  I'd prefer to simply start TT as I have done for 10 years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Make sure your computer is the same way when you originally installed it.  Like with no flash drives plugged in or plugged in if one was.  It asked me to activate again so I just closed the program and took out a flash drive that was plugged in and tried again.  It worked.  Or you may need to connect a flash drive or printer or something that was connected when you originally installed the program.  One person found to disable his virus scanner and firewall first and then it opened.

It was only a day different between the two; configuration same. No flash drives; no firewall or virus anything external (Windows Defender).  I don't know where Turbo Tax expects to find last year's data but I don't use any Windows "standard" location like Documents.  I use a separate directory that I have used for years.  The fact that Turbo Tax is unable to store activation information seems like a bug to me.  This has NEVER happened in all my years of Turbo Tax, so I think the product needs to fix it.

Good news! Today's Turbo Tax 2/15/2023 update solved my problem. I started TT using the desktop icon. After the updates were installed, it asked me the n/a information on the startup screen, which I had to key in, then voila! My 2023 tax return In progress came up. I did not have to enter my license key. I then tested it out by exiting TT (File / Exit). It asked to save my return and I said yes, then completely clean exit. I immediately started TT (using my desktop icon) and it came up with my current 2023  return I'm working on. I did not have to reenter the startup screen or the license key.  Now back in bidness! Thanks Community.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies