Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bet6
Level 1

Letter from IRS not received 3 weeks after this message on irs.gov refund status

We received your return and sent you a letter requesting more information. Please respond by following the instructions in the letter. If you don't respond, your refund amount could be changed. It may take 2-3 weeks for you to receive the letter.

What now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Letter from IRS not received 3 weeks after this message on irs.gov refund status

I suggest creating an IRS Online account.  You will be able to see that notice in the account and respond to the IRS accordingly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bet6
Level 1

created online account - there is no notification to review. now what?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not receive any information about your return once the IRS accepts the return.  All inquiries about IRS correspondence or notices should be addressed with the IRS.

You should contact the IRS directly if you cannot use your online account.

Call the IRS at 800-829-1040 with any Federal tax questions.

@Bet6 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bet6
Level 1

the 1040 800 phone line only has canned messages - I need to speak to someone.  I have not received the letter nor is it posted on my account at irs.gov  How can I respond to a letter/notice that I never received??!!

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you're doing all that you can do.  

Continue trying to contact the IRS using the information in Telephone and Local Assistance on the IRS' Let Us Help You page.  At some point, you should be able to speak to a human being.  This can't be a satisfying answer, but there aren't many options in your situation.

When you call, have the following information ready:

• Your Social Security number (SSN) and birth date
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) if you don’t have a Social Security number
  • The filing status you used on your return – single, head of household, married filing jointly, married filing separately or qualifying surviving spouse
  • The tax return you’re calling about

@Bet6 wrote:

the 1040 800 phone line only has canned messages - I need to speak to someone.  I have not received the letter nor is it posted on my account at irs.gov  How can I respond to a letter/notice that I never received??!!

If the notification letter is not showing up yet under the Notifications tab in your new IRS account, here are some tips to try to get through the IRS phone system to a live agent:

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose any choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• After the introduction, first choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • When prompted, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but there could be a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

the phone menu has changed in 2024.

the concept is the same- don't enter anything so it will then give you to a person.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies