Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What date do I use if it won't let me enter his DOD which is over a year ago?

My father died over a year ago, why won't it let me enter a date over a year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jtax
Level 10

Lakeparadise,

I'm sorry for your loss.

You can only file a 1040 tax return for years in which the taxapayer was alive. For that year you only include income/expenses (for the most part) until the date of death.

After that date you file a 1041 Estate tax return if required to do so. Sometimes the income might need to be reported on a heir's 1040 ("income in respect of a decedent). A 1041 requires Turbotax Business software. This area is fairly complicated. I would recommend at least a consultation with a CPA, Enrolled Agent, or tax/estate attorney. You might find IRS Pub 559 helpful: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559/

All assets and payors should been notified as soon as possible after the date of death so that future income is reported to the estate or to the beneficiaries. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Lakeparadise,

I'm sorry for your loss.

You can only file a 1040 tax return for years in which the taxapayer was alive. For that year you only include income/expenses (for the most part) until the date of death.

After that date you file a 1041 Estate tax return if required to do so. Sometimes the income might need to be reported on a heir's 1040 ("income in respect of a decedent). A 1041 requires Turbotax Business software. This area is fairly complicated. I would recommend at least a consultation with a CPA, Enrolled Agent, or tax/estate attorney. You might find IRS Pub 559 helpful: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559/

All assets and payors should been notified as soon as possible after the date of death so that future income is reported to the estate or to the beneficiaries. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks much, I tried last year to file and at the end it failed to go thru, and later it said due by Apr 2017..
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies