Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 Income

I am using TT Premier. I don't understand  why business income on line 1 of my K-1 is being transferred to line 8 on my 1040. I did not receive this income from the partnership. I am a passive owner of the partnership. Is TT treating  me like an active owner?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

K-1 Income

when you own a partnership interest you are taxed on your share of its earnings whether you get the income in cash or not.  The same is true for an S-Corportion. They are passthrough entities meaning their income is passed through to the owners to include on their tax return regardless of whether they got any cash out. Since it is passive income, it's taxed in 2023. if it had been a passive loss, special rules come into play which may bar the deduction until either there's income or you dispose of your interest in a fully taxable transaction. Any cash distributed to you from the partnership is generally tax-free since you likely paid tax on it or its a return of your investment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

K-1 Income

No.  Income from Box 1 on a K1 partnership or S-Corp goes to Schedule E.  Schedule E net income goes to Schedule 1, line 5 which flows to Schedule 1, line 10 and then goes to form 1040 line 8. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

K-1 Income

when you own a partnership interest you are taxed on your share of its earnings whether you get the income in cash or not.  The same is true for an S-Corportion. They are passthrough entities meaning their income is passed through to the owners to include on their tax return regardless of whether they got any cash out. Since it is passive income, it's taxed in 2023. if it had been a passive loss, special rules come into play which may bar the deduction until either there's income or you dispose of your interest in a fully taxable transaction. Any cash distributed to you from the partnership is generally tax-free since you likely paid tax on it or its a return of your investment.

K-1 Income

Thanks for the answer. I usually get a negative income on Line 1 or a small amount of positive income so It never bother me before. But this year it was a large amount $30k which got my attention.

PS: I do get distributions from the MLP which are tax-free.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies