Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mjcsr

Joint return

Im afraid I made a big mistake. I filed my husband an Is taxes for the first time as a joint return. However, I only saw an area for one W2 so I created an account and did his as well. What happens next?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Joint return

You made a mistake and apparently did not understand the concept of a joint return.   When you prepare a joint return, ALL of the income and information for both spouses goes on ONE return.  You do not file two returns.

If you entered your spouse's SSN on that first return that you prepared, then the return that you prepared for him is going to be rejected if you try to e-file it.   The IRS will not accept another return with his SSN.

You are going to wait for your original return to be fully processed and then you need to amend it to include your spouse's income on it.   Do not spend your refund----that could change when you ament and add income.

When you do a joint return, every income screen will either have a spot ready with each spouse's name, or if you click to enter income it will ask you by name which spouse the income is for.   So....when you amend and click to Add a W-2---it is going to ask if the W-2 is for you or for him.  Enter it under the correct name.  ETC. ETC...for any income for your spouse.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies