Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

J1 visa- a resident for tax purposes

I am a J1 holder and my wife is a J2 holder. Based on the substantial presence test, I am considered a resident for tax purposes, so Sprintex has advised me to file my taxes with TurboTax.

I need to mention that I have a social security number, but my wife does not have a social security or ITIN  and is unemployed.

Based on what I've mentioned, can I add my spouse as a dependent on my taxes with TurboTax and do a W7 form for her? Or do I need to file Form 8843 for her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No, how your original question was worded, I thought she did not qualify as a resident alien, that she had come to the US after you and the fact that you were asking about the form 8843 which is for people who are non-resident aliens, not resident aliens.  Why are you trying to exempt your wife from the substantial presence test?

"If you are an alien individual (other than a foreign government-related individual), you must file Form 8843 to explain the basis of your claim that you can exclude days of presence in the United States for purposes of the substantial presence test because you: • Were an exempt individual, or • Were unable to leave the United States because of a medical condition or medical problem." Form 8843  If you are not tring to exclude days of presence for your wife, and she is a resident alien, you would not need to fill out form 8843.  Also, unless she is a student or medically unable to work, she would not meet the criteria to be exempt. See page 3 and form of the instructions form 8843.

So, if your wife meets the substantial presence test, even though she is unemployed you would be able to file as married filing separately or married filing jointly.  Without an ITIN or SSN, if you want to file as married filing separately, you would need to print and mail your return with an explanation IF she has also met the substantial presence test explaining that she does not have an ITIN or SSN. 

However, since she is unemployed, your best option would be to file a joint return, include the  W-7 with your return to apply for the ITIN. This would give you a standard deduction of $27,700 instead of $13,850 which would lower your taxable income which in turn would lower your tax liability. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you file jointly and include the W7 you will leave the SSN blank.  It will be flagged as an error on the TurboTax system, but you will still be able to print your return.  So just ignore the error. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No, your spouse can never be claimed as a dependent. 

If you are married, your only filing options are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  In both situations, your spouses SSN or ITIN must be included on the return in order to e-file. 

If they do not have an SSN or ITIN and you choose to file Married Filing Separate ,you can try typing NRA in as your spouses last name.  Make sure you put a check mark in the box that says My spouse is a Non-Resident alien in the My info section. When you get to the end and try to transmit the return, ignore the e-file errors regarding your NRA spouse and select transmit your return. If that does not work you will need to print and mail your return and write NRA (Non Resident Alien) in the space for her SSN. 

If you file as Married Filing Separate, then you would only include your income. 

If your spouse chooses to be treated as an US Citizen for tax purposes, and you want to file as Married Filing Joint, you would need to include their income on your return as well and they would be taxed on it. If you choose filing jointly, you will need to print and mail your return along with the W-7 and any other required documents to

IRS

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

You would only need to file form 8843 if you are trying to exclude days of presence for purpose of the Substantial Presence Test. 

Thank you for providing the valuable information!

There are some ambiguities, and I would be grateful if you could clarify the following questions:

• Should I use the phrase “NRA” in the space for her last name or for her SSN? 
  • Am I correctly understanding that, even though my wife and I stayed in the US for the same number of days, according to the substantial presence test, only I am a US resident for tax purposes, while my wife (a J2 visa holder) remains a non-resident alien? If yes, so we cannot use the option of 'Married Filing Jointly”. Hence, as a J1 visa holder and a US tax resident, I can only file my tax return as “Married Filing Separately”. My wife, a J2 visa holder who is unemployed, should submit a Form 8843 for the tax year.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No, how your original question was worded, I thought she did not qualify as a resident alien, that she had come to the US after you and the fact that you were asking about the form 8843 which is for people who are non-resident aliens, not resident aliens.  Why are you trying to exempt your wife from the substantial presence test?

"If you are an alien individual (other than a foreign government-related individual), you must file Form 8843 to explain the basis of your claim that you can exclude days of presence in the United States for purposes of the substantial presence test because you: • Were an exempt individual, or • Were unable to leave the United States because of a medical condition or medical problem." Form 8843  If you are not tring to exclude days of presence for your wife, and she is a resident alien, you would not need to fill out form 8843.  Also, unless she is a student or medically unable to work, she would not meet the criteria to be exempt. See page 3 and form of the instructions form 8843.

So, if your wife meets the substantial presence test, even though she is unemployed you would be able to file as married filing separately or married filing jointly.  Without an ITIN or SSN, if you want to file as married filing separately, you would need to print and mail your return with an explanation IF she has also met the substantial presence test explaining that she does not have an ITIN or SSN. 

However, since she is unemployed, your best option would be to file a joint return, include the  W-7 with your return to apply for the ITIN. This would give you a standard deduction of $27,700 instead of $13,850 which would lower your taxable income which in turn would lower your tax liability. 

Thank you so much for your thorough and detailed explanation. It was helpful. I have just one remaining question: If I file my tax return as married filing jointly and include the W-7 form for my wife, what should I enter in the space for her SSN in the TurboTax system? Will leaving it blank be flagged as an error by the TurboTax system?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you file jointly and include the W7 you will leave the SSN blank.  It will be flagged as an error on the TurboTax system, but you will still be able to print your return.  So just ignore the error. 

Thank you 🙏

Your explanations were really helpful! They responded to all of my questions. 👍

My wife entered the USA twice with a J2 visa.

First trip: October 2018 to July 2020 (with the old passport)

Second trip: September 2023 until now (with the new passport)

She is going to file a W7 form for the 2020 tax year regarding her first trip to the USA. There are a few questions:

Question 1: Which visa information should she report? The first visa or the second visa for the following section:

6c Type of U.S. visa (if any), number, and expiration date

Question 2: which visa information should be reported for the following sections?

Issued by: No.: Exp. date: / / Date of entry into the United States (MM/DD/YYYY)

Question 3: Which passport should be mailed to the IRS? The old passport or the new passport?

rongross

You need to filed the 8843. Also, get her an ITIN with a W7.  Don't mess around with this.  I've been helping my friend and his Filipina wife. 

Why should I file the 8843 form for her, when she files her taxes jointly with me?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies