Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ITIN for wife not available can't file taxes, not sure about Stimulus package benefits.

Stimulus package info: (unofficial)

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/spending/T063-C000-S001-stimulus-checks-2020-how-much-when-and-oth...

My unique situation: 

* My wife's ITIN is due. (its lockdown for covid19 so I am even scared to go to UPS/FedEx to send the document for that).

* My 2019 filing is pending because of the above since I will have to file jointly to get the benefits of my dependent. 

* My 2018 filing was single. 
* based on these if I am not able to get ITIN number for my wife in the next 2-3 months I will have to file an Extension. 

* The website for the stimulus package is showing that if 2019 filing is due it will pick the returns from 2018 and the calculator show 0$ check for me. 

Question: 

What should I do to get the ITIN/ filing for 2019 and getting an appropriate stimulus package altogether to get resolved? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

ITIN for wife not available can't file taxes, not sure about Stimulus package benefits.

It depends.

The only way to get your ITIN processed is to file your 2019 Tax return.

In order to file as married filing jointly with your spouse, she will need either an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or a Social Security number.

Non-citizen spouse and dependent 

Please see the attached form and instructions to request a ITIN number. 

W-7 application 

W-7 instructions 

Please note you can attach the application applying for an ITIN when you file your return. You will not be able to electronically file your return.  It will need to be mailed in. 

If you are unable to mail your 2019 tax return as mentioned above, the IRS will only have your 2018 tax return available to determine how much of the stimulus you are entitled.

Specific guidance has not been provided as far as how the stimulus checks will be sent out.  

Please refer to the IRS link below for updates regarding any tax relief.

IRS Corona Virus Tax Relief

You can also check back to our page for updates as well.  

Covid-19 Tax updates

Tax relief - Corona Virus

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies